Questions to Ask a Tax Preparer

Posted on: 21 Mar, 2013

¬†When interviewing a prospective tax preparer, ask these questions: Do you have an IRS issued Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN)? Do you offer a free initial consultation? How do you keep up with the latest tax law? Do you regularly take continuing education courses? Are you a member of any professional tax or accounting organizations? What are your professional credentials?…read more →

Are you tracking ALL of your Commuting Mileage?

Posted on: 7 Mar, 2013

Are you tracking ALL of your Commuting Mileage? Commuting is defined as the distance between your home and your Office/place of employment or first business stop. For small business owners, we know that you do not stay in one place/location all day. So when can you start expensing those miles? NOW! Business miles begin once you leave the office (or…read more →

Think Employment Law Doesn’t Apply to You? Think Again

Posted on: 21 Feb, 2013

EVIL HR LADY | Suzanne Lucas Feb 4, 2013Think Employment Law Doesn’t Apply to You? Think Again Even small businesses may find themselves subject to employment laws designed to cover big firms. So know the law. Quick quiz: You have 35 employees. One of your junior analysts is pregnant. Do you have to allow her to take 12 weeks off…read more →

What Medical Expenses Are Tax Deductible?

Posted on: 14 Feb, 2013

What Are Medical Expenses? Medical expenses are the costs of diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, and the costs for treatments affecting any part or function of the body. These expenses include payments for legal medical services rendered by physicians, surgeons, dentists, and other medical practitioners. They include the costs of equipment, supplies, and diagnostic devices needed for…read more →

Independent Contractor (Self-Employed) or Employee Test?

Posted on: 7 Feb, 2013

Independent Contractor (Self-Employed) or Employee? It is critical that business owners correctly determine whether the individuals providing services are employees or independent contractors. Generally, you must withhold income taxes, withhold and pay Social Security and Medicare taxes, and pay unemployment tax on wages paid to an employee. You do not generally have to withhold or pay any taxes on payments…read more →